I know this will upset many, but Cindy Sheehan has given us notice that she's quitting. That's right, she's no longer going to be the face for the anti-war movement. All I have to say, is thank goodness. It's beyond time! And I'm not basing this on political beliefs. I feel sorry for the lady but her five minutes of fame went on for hours and hours and it was time for her to get out of the public spotlight.
I spent my Thanksgiving in 2005 with her, her sister DeeDee and about 40 of their followers and I have to say it was one of the weirder experiences of my life. They served rice and lentils and had some bizarre "spiritual" ceremony. When it came time for her to do a book signing, no one was there to get their book signed. That was the official "jump the shark moment" in my book. Many argue it was much earlier than that. But in any case, I'm not sad to see her go. I think Crawford will be better for it. Here's part of her letter to the American people...
"I am going to take whatever I have left and go home. I am going to go home and be a mother to my surviving children and try to regain some of what I have lost. I will try to maintain and nurture some very positive relationships that I have found in the journey that I was forced into when Casey died and try to repair some of the ones that have fallen apart since I began this single-minded crusade to try and change a paradigm that is now, I am afraid, carved in immovable, unbendable and rigidly mendacious marble...This is my resignation letter as the "face" of the American anti-war movement. This is not my "Checkers" moment, because I will never give up trying to help people in the world who are harmed by the empire of the good old US of A, but I am finished working in, or outside of this system. This system forcefully resists being helped and eats up the people who try to help it. I am getting out before it totally consumes me or anymore people that I love and the rest of my resources. "
BTW, she's selling her land in Crawford. It's five acres RIGHT next to the railroad tracks. But the good news is is that it's very close to "downtown"! She says she's accept any reasonable offer!
1 comment:
5 acres? Sounds like an opportunity for you to start investing in your own summer retreat.
Buh-bye Cindy.
Post a Comment