Monday, October 22, 2007

That's what friends are for

My computer desk fell apart shortly before I left for K-stan. One of the first things I did when I got home was to head out to buy a new, inexpensive one. On the box it said "no tools required" and "easy assembly". Now I didn't have any jet lag nor was I stressed from anything else but I just couldn't figure it out. It was maddening to me since I had put together my former computer desk. I was so proud of myself back in 1998 when I followed the 65 pages of instructions and made a beautiful, much more complicated computer hutch! This time, there were very very few words on the directions. Just a series of pictures and arrows. I think I hit the wall when I couldn't figure out where to put the glue. I got about five pages into the directions when I just stopped and had to have a good cry. I felt like a complete failure. I know they didn't have words so as not to offend illerate people putting together computer hutches but this was ridiculous. If you know how to use a computer, you should be able to put together an "easy assembly" desk. But not me.

That's where friends come into the picture. I called Joe and Katie for some help and they promise to rescue me from my fragile state. They couldn't come immediately so I left all 127 pieces scattered about my living room. They came over Saturday and made some magic. It did make me feel better that they thought it wasn't as easy as the box implied. They are masters of these sorts of things. So voila! It was assembled after a couple of hours and a break for some Chinese food. We ended up with several extra pieces of hardware that we didn't use but heck, it looks like it's put together. So far, it's been two days and it's still been standing every time I see it. I even sneezed yesterday and it didn't fall apart. So I'm confident it will last at least a couple of years which is all I ask! Thanks Joe and Katie!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: