Saturday, January 12, 2008

Kuwait for 15 hours and Bahrain for 20!

In the past two days, I've been in three countries. We left Jerusalem and flew to Kuwait City for 15 hours. It was of course my first time in the country. I didn't see any of Kuwait other than what I could see from my hotel window. It looked all dusty outside! We stayed in a pretty nice place. In fact, it's a hotel that was burned by the Iraqis during the Kuwaiti invasion in 1990. So the thing that is worth noting in Kuwait is the food! I don't know what it's like anywhere else in the country but the food here rocks. When we got to the hotel workspace, they had a room for us to eat with candelabras and waiters with white gloves who wouldn't let you pour your own water. The sushi alone in this spread was incredible!! Who knew Kuwaitis were known for sushi?!?! But it was so good! There were several other stations with meat, salad, etc. but since I had already had one dinner for the day, I tried to pace myself! I didn't even know exactly what I was eating, but I made room for dessert which was soooooo good. The chocolate was imported from Paris and someone told me that every bite I took was about $5 worth. All of this was topped off with the best strawberry juice I've ever had! Yum! Yum!!

Now I'm in Bahrain which looks a lot like Kuwait except there's more water visible. I guess because it's an island! :) The part we saw from the airport to the hotel kind of reminds me of an Arab version of Myrtle Beach, just instead of swampy marshes, it's desert. I won't see any more of Bahrain either because I've been doing liveshots at the hotel. Bush did go to an arrival ceremony which included hoisting swords into the air. I'm recommending that we all re-enact it! Our hotel seems pretty nice but apparently it's a hike from the workspace to our rooms so I only want to make that trip once!! But I guess I could stand to walk that far a few times after the amount of food I had in Kuwait! Did I mention the chocolates? :)

Here's a couple of random thoughts about the past few days:
*I wouldn't mind covering my head because I'm not having the best hair days since we can't use our hairdryers on high power. And with only getting a few hours of sleep a night, I can't afford to spend 30 minutes drying my hair on low.
*I somehow have developed a reputation with the Secret Service as being "a trouble maker" (a joke of course!!) The funny thing is that I did nothing to deserve this title but one of the agents decided to randomly give me this title and said that he was specifically on "Becky duty". Now most of the agents not only know my name but know that I "create havoc" which is absolutely untrue!!

No comments: