Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Don't Cry Over Spilled Milk


You thought I had forgotten about my blog again, didn't you? I just haven't had much going on blog-worthy! Actually, I've been busier than ever trying to get ready for Christmas and all that hustle and bustle that comes with the season. Plus I was taking a class last week which required some homework so I was pretty much over the edge and couldn't blog.

But yesterday I did something somewhat exciting. I took another trip on Air Force One. I know I keep saying that I've taken my last trip of the Bush administration but then they decide to go somewhere and it just so happens to by my network's travel pool day and since I know of the trips before anyone else, I volunteer to go if needed. So yesterday I was aboard the "Big Bird" as POTUS calls it, for a quick trip to West Point.


My day did not start out in the best way. As I was in the parking lot of the terminal at Andrews AFB, I was taking my drugs for my ears with some chocolate milk. I don't know what happened but when I opened the milk, it exploded all over me. I basically looked like I had peed in my pants. And it was too late to go home so I just had to do my travel pool duty with wet pants and a wet coat. I was just hoping not too many people noticed. Luckily half way through the day my clothes and coat had dried and I just smelled ever so slightly like chocolate milk. My new nickname became Coco!

Anyway, we flew up to West Point for a POTUS speech on defending against terrorism. I had been to West Point with my family a long long time ago but I had forgotten how beautiful it was. Especially in the winter with the frozen lakes. This time I took a helicopter from the airport to the campus and boy, was that the way to go. It was soooo beautiful flying over the Hudson River. The speech itself was fairly routine but being around those 6000 cadets was inspiring! I feel safe with them serving in the military! I also realized that I was never cut out to be a soldier. Actually I realized that a long time ago but I was just definitely reminded!

Most of my day was spent hanging out in the pool holding space (with food, thank you very much to the WH folks!) and then a little bit of hang-out time on the van (nothing compared to the 18 hours with Obama!) I've gotten to know the WH staffers quite well and have a fun time hanging with them. I really will miss them when they have moved on to bigger and better things. This transition will actually be personally felt!!

You'll be happy to know that I was on my best behavior yesterday and still added an agent to the Becky Protective Detail! I also didn't screw anything up too badly so I think all in all it was a good day!

1 comment:

danabrown said...

He really calls it "big bird?" That's so cute!