I'm sorry I've been MIA after promising to do better but I have been swamped with work! I can't believe the Inauguration is six days away! I think I've mentioned this before but this transition is much more personal to me than the previous ones (this is only my second transition I've been in DC for) because it means a lot of change for me personally. I realize that it's not all about me and I truly believe that but this is my blog so for a few minutes, it can be! :)
This week is full of "lasts" and "goodbyes". POTUS's last press conference was on Monday. His last East Room event was yesterday. His last Marine One arrival will be this weekend. My last day in his travel pool is Sunday. This could be the last time he gives me a low wave. I'm sure he'll have to transition to a lot of different things and the low wave is probably not on the top of his list of things he's thinking about in his waning days in office. But I think about it. I've been covering him at the White House for three and a half years and when I think about all I've witnessed because of him I can't help but be grateful for the experiences. It's more about the Presidency than the actual President but you can't help but feel connected to the man. Although I've only talked to him a handful of times, we've traveled the world and I feel like I know him. And while I got a birthday kiss from him, he doesn't really know me! But it will certainly feel strange to not see him on an almost daily basis. Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to covering the new guy but I wanted to recognize the end of a era!
In addition to the "lasts" of everything, the transition is more real to me when I get several e-mails a day from White House friends with future contact information and goodbye message. It's only now dawning on me that while I'll continue doing what I've been doing, these friends are facing new opportunities (and a time to relax for once!) There are many of them who I plan on keeping in touch with them and I wish them the best as they take some time off but then look for jobs in this tough economy!
While I'm on the subject of the Inauguration, it turns out that I will need to be at work at 4a on Inauguration Day and since my buddies at the Secret Service have closed down all the bridges from VA to DC and closed down much of the city, I will be spending the night in my office. I actually need to be at the Blair House at 4a but apparently they aren't offering me a bed there and the White House is apparently booked that night too. My booth in the basement isn't big enough to put a sleeping bag in so I think my best option is to sleep in the bureau and then somehow make my way over here in the middle of the night. It's such a logistical nightmare!! Please don't think I'm un-American or unappreciative of the opportunity at hand but I am just ready for it to be over with!
This week is full of "lasts" and "goodbyes". POTUS's last press conference was on Monday. His last East Room event was yesterday. His last Marine One arrival will be this weekend. My last day in his travel pool is Sunday. This could be the last time he gives me a low wave. I'm sure he'll have to transition to a lot of different things and the low wave is probably not on the top of his list of things he's thinking about in his waning days in office. But I think about it. I've been covering him at the White House for three and a half years and when I think about all I've witnessed because of him I can't help but be grateful for the experiences. It's more about the Presidency than the actual President but you can't help but feel connected to the man. Although I've only talked to him a handful of times, we've traveled the world and I feel like I know him. And while I got a birthday kiss from him, he doesn't really know me! But it will certainly feel strange to not see him on an almost daily basis. Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to covering the new guy but I wanted to recognize the end of a era!In addition to the "lasts" of everything, the transition is more real to me when I get several e-mails a day from White House friends with future contact information and goodbye message. It's only now dawning on me that while I'll continue doing what I've been doing, these friends are facing new opportunities (and a time to relax for once!) There are many of them who I plan on keeping in touch with them and I wish them the best as they take some time off but then look for jobs in this tough economy!
While I'm on the subject of the Inauguration, it turns out that I will need to be at work at 4a on Inauguration Day and since my buddies at the Secret Service have closed down all the bridges from VA to DC and closed down much of the city, I will be spending the night in my office. I actually need to be at the Blair House at 4a but apparently they aren't offering me a bed there and the White House is apparently booked that night too. My booth in the basement isn't big enough to put a sleeping bag in so I think my best option is to sleep in the bureau and then somehow make my way over here in the middle of the night. It's such a logistical nightmare!! Please don't think I'm un-American or unappreciative of the opportunity at hand but I am just ready for it to be over with!
No comments:
Post a Comment