Well I'm back. I actually didn't go anywhere but there simply hasn't been anything exciting going on in the last two weeks. I don't think I've even seen POTUS for about 10 days. I've been in the bureau for almost all of last week and tomorrow POTUS and FLOTUS leave to go on their European Vacation without me. In all fairness, it won't be a vacation but it does seem like it's going to be a great trip- London, France, Prague and Turkey. My colleagues Jamie and Emily are going and I'm one of the lucky ones to stay behind and watch it all on my handy-dandy television screen. But I'm just a tad bit luckier than the average American because I get to see the live feeds from Europe and I'll be working overnight (during the daytime hours in Europe). Don't be too jealous of me!
Today I did get to see POTUS in person once again. I'm pretty sure he didn't notice me because I was in the back of the room and not in the direct line of sight of the teleprompter. But I did get to hang out with my friend Anne and just people-watch. It's still a weird feeling to not recognize anyone in the room, including most of the press corps. I did happen to see a former colleague from my network who apparently is a CEO of a non-profit now. It is always inspiring to see people prosper after a career in TV. Anyway, the event was a bill signing for the Omnibus Public Lands Management Act. Somehow tied into it, was a section of the bill that helped paralysis research by organizations like Christopher and Dana Reeve Foundation. Christopher's son, Matthew, was in the audience and when POTUS called him up on to stage, he looked a little like a deer in headlights and a bit nervous but more than that, he looks soooo much like his father! I fully expected him to break out his cape and the S on his shirt and fly through the room. Unfortunately, that didn't happen and it was your standard bill signing. I'm of course too short to actually ever see the bill being signed because everyone stands up but I saw the tape and POTUS did indeed sign it.
I won't see him as he departs tomorrow morning. I'm participating in a panel discussion with the National Cherry Blossom Festival. I really don't know how I'm qualified to participate but for some reason they asked me. I hope they don't ask too many questions about Cherry Blossom. I'll have to read up on them tonight. :) Actually, it has nothing to do with flowering trees. From what I understand, it's going to be some sort of career panel where I have to make up exciting things that I get to do!
1 comment:
Becky, we should get together while you're on overnights!
Post a Comment