Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Labor-less Day Weekend!


I just had the BEST weekend!! It was the first time in a long, long time that I have not been working on a holiday and had a three day weekend like the rest of the working world. So I spent it in style. Three of life's greatest things packed into one weekend- Virginia Tech football, the beach, and a wedding!!


My friend Dana, whom I strive to be as funny as, got hitched this past weekend in Nags Head, NC and I was pleased as punch to be invited to the festivities! Let me back it up for one second... I haven't known Dana for a particularly long time in life but the moment we met up for lunch a couple of years ago, we clicked and never looked back. We're basically the same person. Well not really but we have sooo much in common and we both L-O-V-E to talk. So it should come to no surprise that our first lunch together lasted something like three hours!! She is sooo funny and we always have so much fun on our outings!

Anyway, Dana and Michael got married on Sunday and the weekend was full of awesome fun! First of all, I made a new friend- Jessica! I met her on FB a week ago through Dana and I knew immediately if she was a friend of Dana's, then she'd easily be a friend of mine. PLUS, she's a Hokie so that meant she was an automatic friend. We also hit it off quite quickly and had sooo much fun rooming together and just hanging out!


Speaking of just hanging out, one of our first activities was to go to the beach! As you may be able to figure out, I do not tan. It's just not completely possible unless I get burned to a crisp and then let the red turn into tan. And since I'm not a fan of skin cancer, I generally don't do a lot of laying out. But it was absolutely perfect weather and laying out is such a relaxing activity. So I lathered up on the sunscreen and laid down and took a nap on the beach. It was so peaceful and relaxing! And I didn't get too burned!!


After that, we went to the rehearsal dinner which included a most beautiful sunset (see picture below) and good food and meeting more new people. We convinced our new friends (the term "we" is quite ironic because at this point Jessica and I had known each other for approximately 14 hours) to go watch the Virginia Tech football game with us! We ended up at a Tex-Mex bar and when we walked in, there whole bar was full of Hokies. We knew we had gone to the right place. The outcome of the game wasn't that great but it was a great game and we had a lot of fun!



Sunday was the wedding and it was absolutely beautiful!! Dana and Michael got married on the gazebo outside the hotel we were staying at and it was just a really nice ceremony. Dana was a most beautiful bride and she said that it was even better than she dreamed it was going to be! The reception was a lot of fun too! Dana, being the awesome TV producer she is, produced a great video of their relationship and lives and I think I only cried for about half of it. It was so incredibly sweet! Later came the toasts which I pretty much bawled through. Sooo sweet as well! Basically at the end of the day, there was no question that God in His faithfulness, had brought the two of them together specifically for each other. These two are destined to big things and I'm glad I was able to witness this big moment in their lives!

It wouldn't be a true Becky blogpost if I failed to mention any food. So I will. Only because you expect it. On Saturday night, my new BFF Jess and I went to this great restaurant in Nags Head called the Lone Cedar Cafe. That might possibly have been one of the best seafood meals I've ever had. As soon as I tasted the cornbread when we first sat down, I knew Jessica had picked a great place! My pan-seared Spanish mackerel topped with lump crab meat was divine. OOOhhh, and the whipped sweet potatoes were incredibly yummy...and the crab dip... and the Hershey chocolate cake. Seriously, my mouth is watering now remembering how great it was! I really didn't want to eat yesterday because I was still pleasantly full from our meal! I definitely recommend that place to others! Do I sound like a commercial or what?!? Anyway, suffice it to say that it was really good food!!


So now I'm back to work and out of the dream world of not working. I have a fairly busy week with a bunch of travel for the rest of the week. I'm going to the hotspots of the world like Fort Drum, NY and Raynham, MA. Oh, and New York City too!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

hey gal, look at me. i read your blog!

so gald you had a relaxing weekend...

lived in ma for 7 years and have to ask... where is raynham??? and why is potus going there?

Dana Brown Ritter said...

What a beautiful post! Thank you. I strive to be as funny as you, go figure! I'm just now getting a chance to catch up on blog world... and confession: I'm actually up to do my quiet time... so shhhh..
Haha. Thank you so much for coming, it meant a lot to have you there. Looking forward to hanging out with you soon. Go Hokies!