Tuesday, November 2, 2010

November, Already?

Wow! I have no idea how time got away from me! Welcome to November! I have so much to catch you up on! It's been two weeks since my last post!!


Today is Election Day. And today is also my first real day back in the office in almost two weeks (I'll update you in separate posts as those happenings.) But with the election cycle coming to an end today, things have been a bit busy in the last few days with POTUS on the road campaigning for several candidates.


And it all comes down to today. For those who know me, I've been a political geek for a while and Election Nights are exciting for me. I guess my version of the Superbowl, right? As you know, this year is the midterm elections and all kinds of things in Washington could switch after tonight. As you also know, I don't talk about politics on this blog but I think both sides agree there are major things at stake tonight.


So this morning before work, I did my civic duty and exercised my right to vote. In all honesty, I probably took that right a little for granted because I just wanted to get in there and vote as quickly as possible so I wouldn't be late for work. In my district, the only things to vote for were the House and then three amendments that I had heard nothing about until late last night (and this morning) when I made a very last minute attempt to become an informed voter.


I was in and out of there in about three minutes. I didn't need a refresher as to how to work the voting machine. I knew how I was going to vote and luckily there was no line in my polling place. They gave me a sticker as I left and I checked another election off my list. I have never missed voting in an election ever. Not even a primary. It's a badge of honor that I wear proudly.

Speaking of wearing it proudly, I put my sticker on and headed for work. As I was walking to the WH, I passed by one of my favorite places to grab food near the White House... Potbelly's. I love their sandwiches and the oreo milkshake is to die for. Oh and they have the absolute best oatmeal chocolate chip cookies on the planet. I may not have mentioned it here but I could live off those cookies for the rest of my life and never get sick of them. When I was a tutor (remember my student Ernest?) for seven years, I ate at Potbelly's nearly every Thursday night and it never got old. Anyway, suffice it to say, I am a fan of that place. Well... today as I was walking by, a guy in a Uncle Sam's hat was handing things out. Normally, I avoid those kinds of people because the WH attracts people with a cause. But this time, I didn't even have a choice. He shoved something in my hands and said "Thank you for voting." I was a little thrown off because most people who stand there are asking for signatures for some protest for some unknown person's run for president in 2020 or to help free some type of rare bird in South American zoos or some ridiculous cause. But this one I fully support!! He saw my "I voted" sticker and gave me THREE free oatmeal chocolate chip cookies from Potbelly's. I mean, I know my vote meant something when I actually cast it but it was doubly good when I got three of my favorite cookies out of the deal!


I hope you voted as well! And I hope you ran into Uncle Sam handing out delicious cookies! It makes Election Day even better!

1 comment:

DisneyDaddy said...

Oh yeah, you're an election geek. You used to love to work election night at WSLS back when you were in high school.

Fun times!