Friday, October 14, 2011

A Day in Tiger Country

No, I haven't been on any safari in an exotic country. I just took a day trip to Detroit. But it is home to the Tigers and since they are in the playoffs and their best pitcher is from Goochland, VA (where Brian's grandpa and family live), I'm a fair weather Detroit Tigers fan! :)

POTUS hosted another state visit and dinner yesterday with the President of Korea (Mr. Lee)and I missed the whole thing. My assignment was to fly to Detroit because POTUS was bring the POK to see a GM factory. He used to be a car company CEO so it makes sense. If I could go to Graceland with the Prime Minister of Japan back when Bush was POTUS, then why not take the Korean president to GM. No offense to my friends from Detroit, but Graceland with the PM Koizumi, the Bushes, and Priscilla and Lisa Marie was much more fun.

But as far as trips to car factories go, it was pretty good! I'd love to say that I got to enjoy all that the Motor City has to offer but honestly, I'd be lying. We flew in yesterday, stayed at a random Courtyard Inn halfway between the airport and the car factory. The highlight might have been dinner at the Bob's Big Boy. We really know how to have a good time wherever we go!!

Today we went to the GM factory in Lake Orion, MI. They make the Sonics there. I had never heard of that car. I just thought it was a fast food restaurant where I could get a cherry limeade. The interesting thing about this trip is that the POK was along for the ride and he was very energetic about cars and about the Tigers. He was so cute! At least for a world leader!! They both made comments about the trade agreement with Korea and the economy and before I knew it, the event was over. And everyone went home. Just like that. We still had a lot of work to do before we could leave.


My correspondent and I raced to the airport to hopefully make our flight but for the first time in the history of my travels, I missed my flight. At least I'm pretty sure it was the first time. By the time I battled traffic and took the rental car back, I showed up at the airport 9 minutes before the flight was leaving. If it hadn't been for the need to take an express train to the gate, I might have made it. Luckily, I had already come to terms with the fact that I was going to miss it so I was mentally prepared. At least the Detroit airport is a nice place to hang out!

No comments: