Monday, August 6, 2012

The Absolutely 100% Perfect, Most Magical Weekend: Part Two

Saturday morning came and surprisingly, I got plenty of sleep!! I woke up more excited than I have ever been before in my life! Today was the day I was going marry the most kind-hearted, generous, loving, and handsome guy in the world. When I woke up, I really couldn't believe it! I haven't really been dreaming of my wedding day since I was 7 like other girls but it's always been something that I've looked forward to but seemed so distant. And here it was! God had answered my prayers starting from when I was a freshman in college and first prayed for my future husband. I don't want to get all preachy on you but if you need one small example of God's faithfulness, this Big Day is proof. And while Brian is not a perfect man, by golly, he's close. He'd never agree with that statement but it's true. And April 21, 2012 was the day that I got to marry this gift!!

First thing I'd like to point out was that the actual Big Day was much more relaxed than I anticipated. At this point, I had done all I could to have it go off without a hitch and it was out of my hands! And bottom line- God took everything that had been prepared and completely blessed it ten times over. Even the weather forecast which as you know, I have no control over. It had been 100% chance of rain when I looked at it earlier in the week. I figured there was nothing I could do about it so I stopped looking at it. And wouldn't you know, it was blue skies all day!!

Anyway, my sister Katherine and friend Catherine (that's a common name in my world!) went with me to get my hair and makeup done by my hairdresser. I had gone through a trial run a couple of weeks before and came out looking not quite Jon Benet Ramsey-like. Actually funny story... that day, Brian was out of town and so afterwards, I went to go get lunch and decided on Chinese since Brian's not a f an. Well I go into the Chinese restaurant with my hair all done up and wearing a tiara and said, "table for one". I think the waitress thought I had been left at the alter!! Anyway, back to the Big Day. The three of us got our hair done and I texted Brian (we decided not to see each other before the actual ceremony) about some last minute logistic. And then it was just waiting time to go to the church. I hung out with Catherine and then got to the church a bit early and just waited. It was the longest waiting time ever! All the girls got to the church and we got ready in our church's beautiful bridal room.
Then it became real. I couldn't believe I was actually getting married! Brian and I exchanged cards and his card made me cry. I actually couldn't read the whole thing because I was positive my make-up would run. I have since read it and re-read it. He really is so sweet. Anyway, back to the part about being in disbelief that our wedding was imminent! I can't describe the peace and excitement!! Those two emotions/feelings generally don't seem like they go together but in this case, they absolutely did. Peace that I knew without a doubt that God had brought us together and led us to his moment. I know that our life together will not be perfect but I have complete peace that God will bring us through whatever life throws at us. And then of course, excitement! Excitement for all the possibilities ahead! Of living life with my best friend by my side and all the fun and exciting times ahead! Excitement that sooo many of our friends and family were gathered in one place to witness the official beginning of our life together. I tell you, I had a glimpse of what heaven might be like because I had sooo many friends from different phases in my life all in one room! So many people who have had such an influence on my life! It made me look forward to that day when the reunion is so much bigger and there is no time frame!

Anyway, back to the wedding.... When I heard the brass start playing, I couldn't help but beam with joy!! I wasn't nervous at all, except that I was finding it difficult to walk in my dress and maintain a smile on my face! But with me on my Daddy's arm, we slowly walked down the aisle, past so many loved ones just smiling at me! I knew many in that congregation had prayed for this day almost as much as me! It was such a wonderful moment!
We exchanged vows and our pastor and dear friend, Don, gave a wonderful homily. I had told him that I wanted him to read a certain verse in Ephesians but he decided to base his whole message off that verse and it worked so perfectly. I'll be honest, I don't remember every word he said (but we have gone back and watched the video to refresh our memories!) but I kept thinking (and probably told Brian several times) that this day was exactly what I had wanted and dreamed about. I kept waiting for something to go wrong but it never did. It was purely exactly what I wanted. I wanted an event that reflected not only how much Brian and I love each other but more than that- how much we love the Lord and feel blessed by Him. All the nitty-gritty details about the flowers and decorations and other trivial things that usually seem blown out of proportion really didn't matter to me. And hopefully the ceremony reflected that!

  Of course, we might have hampered all dignity and respect of ceremony when at the end, Don pronounced us husband and wife. We, of course, kissed- in that church appropriate way! LOL! :) But because Brian loves to high-five, we ended the perfect ceremony with a good high-five!!
All photos courtesy of Zumbro Photography

No comments: