Ernest's comments on Becky
"I when I arrived at Community Club in 2001 I didn’t know what to expect and when I first met Becky I was shy but I quickly got over my shyness. I know she probably thought that with her unpredictable schedule I would want another tutor, but Becky has been there for me more than she realizes from the early days when I had to cut out news articles on current events to taking me to her job to help me do projects. Then as I got older taking the time to discuss politics and current news with me. I never thought I would be here for six years but they were the best six years of my life. I will truly miss Becky as I head off to college. She was more than just my tutor; she is and always will be my friend."
Becky comments on Ernest:
"When I came to Community Club in 2001, I had no idea that I would stay long enough to make it all the way to the stage!! I met Ernest the first night of tutoring when he was in 7th grade and we were in the room for the younger grades. He was just about my height (believe it or not!) and I noticed he didn’t talk much. I wondered how this was going to work since he was on the shy side. It's been amazing to see how quickly we went from barely talking to becoming friends who share many things in common.
I have enjoyed watching Ernest grow into the wonderful young man he has become. I know it's cliche to say that he has taught me more than I taught him but I believe that is true in our case. He has such a positive attitude on life and that has rubbed off on me over the years. I've also enjoyed discussing history and current events and he has opened my eyes to a new perspective. Through my job and travel, my schedule has been unpredictable at times and I appreciate Ernest so much for his understanding and patience with me. At the end of each school year, I kept thinking he'd probably want a new tutor but the fact that he has stuck by me for six years has meant so much to me.
I'd be remiss if I didn't mention my appreciation to his mother, Betty. She has also been extremely patient with me and my schedule through the years but still made it a priority to let me share in his life on Thursday nights. I will miss getting my weekly hellos and hugs from her.
I know Ernest is destined to do great things in the future whatever that might entail. I not only wish him the best of luck as he starts college next year but pray that God will richly bless him and his family. I know that our friendships will extend way beyond the great organization of Community Club. "
Let me brag for a second. My company recently gave Community Club a $1000 grant in honor of my volunteer service. I thought that was exceptionally nice! Community Club will use it for scholarships and towards a summer study program in South Africa for several of the students. See, my corporation has done at least one good thing!!
3 comments:
Congratulations to both of you!
Okay... so as someone who works with tutors everyday... SIX YEARS?! I knew it had been a long time, but that's insanely impressive and I know that that will leave a lasting impression on him. Hopefully he will go on to do the same for someone else!
Wow, finally a good news story that makes you appreciate things in life that really matter...way to go Becky...my hat is off to you.
LonghornJeff
Post a Comment