Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Tis the Season (for Cheese Grits)

I am so very much in the Christmas spirit! I can hardly stand it! Last week (and yesterday) I spent my days listening to Christmas carols and writing cards and shopping. Then in the evenings, I played the oboe for the Living Christmas Tree. The tree was a big success, at least the oboe part was! I love playing in it because the rest of the orchestra are professionals, most in the military bands. So no matter how I play, I automatically sound better! But everything went well and I am so relieved. I didn't mind being the co-chair this year but it's a lot of work! On Monday, I spent the day at the church taking that 4000 pound thing down! Well I'll be honest, I had some help! :) But it was hard work!

But one of the things I like so much about this time of year (beyond the obvious that we're celebrating Jesus's birth) is the Christmas party circuit. For work alone, I have four parties I was invited to. I skipped the one for my network over the weekend. But last night was the WH Correspondents party. Tonight I went to the Vice President's party and on Thursday it's the WH party. It's a good thing I like my co-workers (from my network and the other press) because we're socializing quite a bit this week! I had never been to the Veep's house before and it was a good party! The thing that's different about that party is that is a variety of people there- some Senators, other politicos, some press. I was the guest of one of my correspondents and I was very grateful for the opportunity to go. I admit it. I'm a nerd. It's cool to see famous people like Donald Rumsfeld and Newt Gingrich in person! The actual party was in a tent outside of the residence (albeit the nicest tent I have ever been in! I didn't feel like it wasn't part of the normal house!) But we went inside for our picture with the Cheneys. And the food was delicious! Including cheese grits! I know the WH is serving them too (see previous post!) Who knew this year would be the year of the cheese grits! Oh man how I love them! Plus we got a departing gift. I haven't quite figured out what it is but I will eventually!

Don't worry, I'll post the photo of me and the Cheneys as soon as I get it in the mail. I'm still waiting for the one of me and Laura from a couple of weeks ago!

No comments: