I spent Thursday night through mid-day Saturday in Blacksburg, home of my beloved alma mater! I got there the day after the one year anniversary of the shootings so there were still many reminders of the commemorations of the previous day. My trip to Blacksburg was great for a number of reasons! First of all, I got to stay at my friend Catherine's family farm in Blacksburg. It was like a big slumber party! Aunt Betty was so gracious to let me stay there and I had so much fun hanging out with the Obenshains! I'm an honorary Obenshain so it made sense that I was there for the family dinner on Thursday night! Catherine and Lyra were so much fun to play with!! The Obenshains' farm is absolutely beautiful! In college, I lived about a mile away and drove past it every day but never realized until a couple of years ago how wonderful it was to wake up to the sun coming over the mountains and hearing the birds chirping, etc. It is truly a peaceful place!


I also had a great time on Friday at Tech. I met with Larry Hincker for about an hour in the morning. He's the VP of University Relations and the guy who did all the press conferences last year. I've met him through the tragedy last year and he is just one of the nicest people in the world! I love how our conversations cover such a variety of topics! I try to meet up with him whenever I'm in town because I think I can learn so much from him!
On Friday evening, I was honored to be a part of the College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences awards program. After the program, I had dinner with my parents, the dean of the college, a representative from the Alumni Association and the department head of the Communication department. We ate at Preston's at the Inn at Virginia Tech and it was a lot of fun!
Then on Saturday, I got to hang out with my friend Missy for the morning and because Facebook is so wonderful, my friends Rob and Tricia found out that I was going to be in town so we hooked up for lunch! I hadn't seen them in several years and this was the first time I could hang out with them since Dr. Rob became official!! Congrats Dr. Rob!!
Then for the rest of the weekend, I went to Roanoke where I got to spend time with my parents, my brother, my sister and brother-in-law and my niece! I had such a great time and it was a full weekend of fun!! Now this weekend I'm headed to St. Louis to see my younger sister and brother-in-law and I expect that I will have an equally fun time with them!!
2 comments:
Becky,
I'm glad facebook facilitated us catching up last weekend. Dr Rob and I had fun seeing you and Missy.
BTW - Virginia Tech won its game!
Have fun in St Louis! Say hi to Aunt Judy if you see her.
Tricia
Very slick, Becky, to casually mention the awards ceremony without bringing up the fact that you received the Outstanding Recent Alumni Award! You were the only one to give a speech (which was a great speech, btw)!! Nice try, missy! Maybe you should go back and post about your Emmy and Peabody awards too...
I had so much fun with you in B'burg - it was a great slumber party, and it wouldn't have been an Obenshain dinner without you there. :) Lyra and I can't wait to see you again soon!
Catherine
Post a Comment