The month of February was my month to work in the bureau so I missed being at the White House and on the front lines of things. So I couldn't wait until March 1st. I realize that February is the shortest month of the calendar and for that I am grateful. So I've been back at the WH for the past several days and ready for the action.
On Monday, I didn't see POTUS because he only had one event that the press was allowed to cover and that was off-campus so we didn't go with him. On Tuesday, I saw POTUS for the first time in weeks (well actually I saw him in Vegas but that seems like a lifetime ago!) I went out for the helicopter arrival. You've heard me say it before, but I always like a good helicopter arrival or departure. Ok, I like the idea of a good arrival or departure. In theory, there's nothing like being on the South Lawn of the White House and watching the leader of the free world get on Marine One and take off with the backdrop of the Washington Monument and the Jefferson Memorial. If that doesn't make you love being an American, I'm not sure what would. But in reality, the winter months (or any event of weather) tends to dampen (pardon the pun) that spirit. It was incredibly cold and windy before the helicopter landed. And I wasn't wearing my thick coat. I've decided that it's gotten incredibly dirty and nasty this winter and should not be worn at the White House unless it's 50 below zero. It's just too ghetto and I respect the office of the presidency and the White House way too much to do that. So I did what I always do, I stood behind the biggest camera guy out there and braced myself from the cold. I eventually warmed up once back inside in the whole in the basement that we call our booth.




Yesterday, POTUS was making comments on health care reform yet again and I got to be there in person. I don't get all that excited anymore about events but I remind myself of two things. 1) 98% of the American population won't ever step foot into that room or the White House for that matter. And 2) I won't be doing this forever so I need to appreciate each and every opportunity. The highlight of this event that it was a room filled with doctors (or at least people in white lab coats.) I admit, I was scouting the room for cute, young, apparently-single doctors. Bad news, Mom, I didn't find any. But I will say, I felt safe in that if any medical emergency had occurred, we would have been more than okay.


Oh, and one of my most favorite things was that I got to see my friend Dana at the event!! She's such a superstar (even without the TV makeup on!)
This is kind of random but I thought I'd share anyway. It's my blog so I set the rules and there are none. So being in that room full of doctors made me think of my run-in with the White House doctors years ago. It was about four years ago and we were in our old booth (way before the renovations of 2007) and I was sitting at my desk and I felt something hit me on the head. I didn't know what it was and at the time I remember feeling a little sluggish (one step away from napping on the job). After coming to after briefly blacking out for a few seconds, I did what anyone would do... blame their correspondent. I thought that my correspondent had taken something and whacked me over the head to wake me up or get my attention. I thought it would have been a little bit across the line but to be honest, it wouldn't surprise me in the least. After my accusations of her being exceptionally mean, I realized that it had something to do with this long piece of metal by my chair. And I looked up at the ceiling to see a new hole and the place from where the metal bar had come. Being the brilliant person I am, I finally realized this bar had fallen from the ceiling and hit me right on top of the head. I felt a little bit like Chicken Little but it really did hurt. So I called the press office who made some calls and before you know it, I was being escorted to the White House doctor. They gave me a stack of paperwork about workers' compensation and other documents trying to persuade me to not file any lawsuits. I get this personal escort to the doctor's office and when I got there, they had all heard about what had happened to me. I even ran into a lady from my church who had heard it was me. After some not-so-rigorous tests and scans, the doctor declared there was nothing there in my head! He basically confirmed what many others have said across the years! :) I'm sure if that had happened yesterday while surrounded by 150 doctors in white coats at the White House, I would have had 148 different opinions!
Ok, back to your normally scheduled programming and train of thought. See the kinds of things that you missed out of because I haven't always kept a blog? Humor me, please! :)
1 comment:
Consider yourself humored.
Post a Comment