Last week, spring was in the air which meant it was finally warm enough for POTUS to hold events in the famous Rose Garden at the WH. The way my schedule usually works out, I see POTUS once or twice during a given week- depending on when he has open events (not as often as we would like) and when it's my turn to be in the basement of the WH. Last week I saw the man at 5 or 6 times over the course of four days (and two of those days he traveled to the Midwest!) So this was a rare occurrence!!
So on Tuesday before he went to Iowa, he had an event in the Rose Garden where he talked about fiscal responsibility and some other stuff that frankly either I don't remember or just never understood in the first place. I understand fiscal responsibility on a personal level; although sometimes it's a bit tough for me when I really, really want to splurge on something. Usually it's something like a cookie at Potbelly's for $1. But when they talk about it in terms of "billions in deficits" and economic growth charts sometimes it's hard for me to really grasp what the heck they are really talking about. But I stood at the event and took notes and pretended to understand every single word that POTUS said.
Two days later, I was back in the Rose Garden. This time for the annual Teacher of the Year ceremony. First of all, let me say that I applaud teachers everywhere. I had some pretty fantastic teachers when I was in school who I still keep in touch with! My mom was a teacher and my older sister is one too. Many friends have chosen that noble profession as well. I really wanted my sister to win National Teacher of the Year and really expected a surprise announcement during the ceremony that my sister was going to surprise me as the winner. But it didn't happen. Each state was represented with a state winner. In fact, when they were introducing the, they announced the winner for Northern Mariana Islands. Who knew that we had a 51st state or a new territory!! I had never heard of that before. I guess it is fitting that I learned something at the Teacher of the Year event. Anyway, I digress. The winner was a teacher from Iowa who created individual podcasts for her students and wrote songs and other fun activities. I'm sure she's a wonderful teacher but the only difference between her and my sister is that she knows what a podcast is! :)
The very next day, we were in the Rose Garden yet again. This time there wasn't an audience so we were very close up to POTUS. The topic du jour was the new GDP numbers and the oil spill. We waited and waited because the event was really late. And it was really hot and I was sweating. I started to complain. Then I ran into a friend of mine from Atlanta who works for my network and she was soooo excited to be in the Rose Garden for the very first time. Seriously almost giddy. It was then that I realized how jaded I am sometimes. And I have to kick myself because most people would jump at the chance to see the Rose Garden just once much less three times in one week!! I don't want to miss any moment! My friend was so thrilled to be there and get to see POTUS in person and I was reminded how blessed I am to have been there because it's my job.
She said to me, "We have to stop and smell the roses in the Rose Garden!" I thought, "what a great idea!!" But unfortunately roses must not be in season yet because there weren't any roses in the Rose Garden!! But the idea is now in my head so that the next time I'm there and start to complain, I will immediately stop to smell the roses!!
No comments:
Post a Comment