So I was at the WH for a few days this week and only saw him once. That's when he was coming home from a trip to Marquette, Michigan. I think he was actually happy to be home considering it was 5 degrees on the Upper Peninsula and it was a warm 34 degrees here. Maybe even 37! It was the same day that Egyptian President Mubarak stepped down so of course we shouted questions to him as he exited Marine One and walked across the lawn. He, of course, ignored the questions and went straight inside to meet with his National Security Team. But on his way by, he waved to me. Well, it might not have been completely directed to me alone but it was a start. It's no low-wave like POTUS 43 but baby steps!!
Also, on Thursday when I got to work, I was told that I was the pool for the VPOTUS event of the afternoon. I was caught a little off guard but recovered. :) You see, with POTUS events, we always know when we are pool for the day. It's a simple 5-day rotation so I can tell you when we'll be pool until the end of time (only if no other networks join the pool!) But with VPOTUS, it's on an ad-hoc basis. Not really but the ins-and outs of how that works is just too much inside baseball. It's just not on a regularly scheduled basis. So if I had known, I would have dressed up just a little bit more to be the one person representing the US media in the event. It wasn't like I was wearing pajamas bottoms and a ratty T-shirt. I always make sure I am not wearing jeans and I am presentable when I work at the WH. You just never know when you might get called on to go into the Roosevelt Room for an event with some world leaders. This event was only a photo-op with the Prime Minister of Slovenia. I attempted to ask VPOTUS a question on Egypt but he ignored me too. He heard my question. He just chose to not answer it. Instead, he and the PMoS talked about the Balkans and working together with the European Union. Blah, blah, blah. (No offense to any Balkan friends out there... it just wasn't newsy!) The funniest part of the event was when the PMofS joked that he could create a controversy so that VPOTUS could visit Slovenia again. I think there is enough world news going on that creating news isn't necessary!
No comments:
Post a Comment