Wednesday, July 4, 2007

God Bless Amurika


That's how our president says it! I spent the morning with him in Martinsburg, WV to celebrate the 4th. He's been to that state four out of the past six years for July 4th. I guess nothing says Happy Birthday America than a quick trip to West Virginia. They say it's wild and wonderful and I have nothing to dispute that although it was a rather tame day. I actually had to drive out there myself (no press plane and it wasn't my day on AF1) and although it was really early, I really enjoyed my drive. My mapquest directions took me through the countrysides of Virginia and West Virginia. I saw America for real. At one point on back country roads in WV, they didn't have any street signs so I just had to hope I was on the correct road or there would have been nothing I could have done except cry. I didn't have a cell phone signal and it was 7:00a and I didn't see a soul around. But I made it and then the speech was about as patriotic as it could be. Heck, Lee Greenwood sang "God Bless the USA" so not much can top that! :) I also listened to the band play Stars and Stripes about 30 times in a row as the President shook hands for longer than he actually spoke!


This evening I was at a cookout with friends which was a lot of fun until the thunderstorm took place! I don't enjoy sitting through lightning as much as other people. I also have learned through the years that going down to the mall for the fireworks is not for me. There are simply too many people (mostly tourists) and too much traffic and it just drives me crazy. So last night, some other friends and I went to the dress rehearsal on the mall which got me in the patriotic mood. Tony Danza was the host of the show (I think he had gotten off a plane from LA minutes before he had to do a tap dance number that lasted 5 minutes). The funniest part is that some of the stars didn't show up for the rehearsal. So there was a black guy singing his heart out, pretending to be Elliot Yamin. And then some white guy was standing in for Little Richard and he was really very good! I watched a bit of the real show tonight on PBS. I admit it- I'm extra lame-o for the fireworks this year but I do have to work really early tomorrow morning. Hey, there's nothing wrong with watching on TV, especially when you get to hear the cheezy songs that PBS plays which included Neil Diamond singing "America", which to me, nothing is more American than Neil Diamond! :)

No comments: